Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone using the Bluetherm Duo?

Options
With long and crucial holiday cooks getting closer, I'm looking to get a cable thermometer of some sort to assist my new thermapen. I was overwhelmed with the quality of the thermapen, so the Thermoworks products are quite appealing to me. Has anyone on here bit the bullet and bought/tried the Bluetherm Duo? It looks like the TW8060, but with bluetooth. However, the review on amazingribs.com is pretty poor (However, the review for the TW8060 is quite exceptional).

Thoughts?
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I thought about it when it came out, but bluetooth doesn't have the range I need, so I passed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    @caliking did you end up buying something else? The maverick seems popular, but I'm scared of the reviews. At the bluetherm's price point, a pit controller also comes to mind for monitoring temperatures. I like to keep things simple though.
    - Norman, OK
  • caliking
    Options
    For my setup, bluetooth doesn't work. i would have to be outside within range of the transmitter, and at that point i may as well just grab a bottle and sit by the cooker, watching the dome thermo the old fashioned way. I've had my Maverick for a few years now, and modded it so that I get a good signal everywhere, through multiple walls, upstairs or downstairs. The probes have held up ( I take care of them, SWMBO doesn't touch them), but the newer probes have been somewhat sketchy i hear.

For that kind of money, I would rather have a temp controller. Wifi would be ideal, but they are pricey.  

• Hoov
    Options
    Wish Thermoworks would produce a model that can compete with the range of the maverick. I guess that barbecue isn't really their target buyer though. Controllers are appealing, but expensive and I'm not sure I want to be running extension cords out to my Egg. The Thermoworks TW8060 looks pretty nice, but my thought is that I may as well stick the thermapen in if I'm going to sit by the Egg.
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    Though, I can see how a controller would be appealing if you Egg under a covered patio.Can you use nice thermocouple probes with any of the controllers?
    - Norman, OK
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Not worth it... I purchased it and the range is so bad I can't use it anywhere in the house...

Options
    @paqman good to know. Thanks
    - Norman, OK
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Can you use nice thermocouple probes with any of the controllers?
    Generally no,  you must stay with the same type of sensor to be compatible with the readout.  Thermoworks uses predominately Type K.  Guru uses Type T.  Stoker uses Type K with a chip inline and I have no idea what Maverick uses, but suspect it is an RTD of some sort due to the general fragility that seems to be prevalent.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Hoov
    Options
    @bettysnephew thanks. Good info.
    - Norman, OK
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I have about a year and a half on my Maverick.  I use it very regularly and really like it.

I'm just not into Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, so the Mav is just about perfect for my use.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hoov
    Options
    The maverick seems great, but I hear about 50/50 on people who like it and people who hate it.
    - Norman, OK
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If your really worried about holiday food, the maverick is cheap and easy to use and could aid in great food this season.

I have a maverick and a partyQ. It's a nice low price set up.

It's cheap insurance if nothing less.

XLBGE 
  • jaydub58
    Options
    If your really worried about holiday food, the maverick is cheap and easy to use and could aid in great food this season. I have a maverick and a partyQ. It's a nice low price set up.

I neglected to mention above that I do have the PartyQ also.  With that and the Maverick, I feel as high-tech as I need to be!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Hoov... I hate mine. The probes last as long as a 12 pack. I do everything suggested and still have problems.

@Caliking... There's nothing wrong with a bottle while staring at the egg.

Me: Honey, I have to watch the egg
    Her: Why don't you get one of those fancy computer things?
    Me: I'd rather you buy yourself something.
    Her: I'll have to do "something" nice for you later.
    Me: (to myself)... Money in the bank! Now to the mancave for PBR.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hoov
    Options
    @henapple that's too bad about the probes. Sounds like you have found a way to make the best of the situation though!
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Now you guys have me convinced to keep it simple with something like the new thermoworks chefalarm or the dual probe tw8060 and just watch the egg. Or just continue as I have been. I haven't had any problems cooking the last 6 months I've had my Egg.
    - Norman, OK
  • jaydub58
    Options
    I've just wrapped my probes in foil.................no problems with them at all.
  • caliking
    Options
    It seems the newer probes have not been as robust as the ones from a few years back, The company has been pretty good about replacements form what I heard.

@henapple - nothing wrong with a bottle at all!. But my arms are too short - can't get the damn lid of the egg open when I'm sideways on the floor.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    =))

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I bought the BGE equivalent of the Maverick ET-73... I wrap the wires in foil, and have probably used it a dozen times with no issues on range...I did burn up one grate probe, but it was my fault...my first cook, I didn't know there was a temp limitation on it and tried to tell grate temp when searing steaks...and of course I hadn't read the instructions to know that the HHH on the display was bad...by then it was too late...Cost me 14 bucks to replace the probe and works great now...I found them on amazon for $36 (http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer-ET-73/dp/B0044FFUMK/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1384661586&sr=8-19&keywords=big+green+egg+thermometer)  

I'm ashamed to say it was an impulse buy when I got my egg, and I paid more then that for it...

There is one design challenge on the model I have...The power switch for the outdoor unit requires you to take the battery door off to operate, which requires you to remove the clip / stand...Annoying, but only takes a few seconds...I would buy it again at $36.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • caliking
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There is one design challenge on the model I have...The power switch for the outdoor unit requires you to take the battery door off to operate, which requires you to remove the clip / stand...Annoying, but only takes a few seconds...I would buy it again at $36.
    I think they have fixed that problem with the newer ones. The et-733 just hit the market not too long ago.

But here's what you need to do to make the et-73 easier to switch on and off with a pen or paperclip (I used the tip of the temp probe usually). I used an exacto knife to make the holes:

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    caliking, you sir are my hero...I am completely doing this...

I occasionally still cook when it is raining...ever had any issues with moisture getting in there?  I guess I could ziploc it up when it rains...I tend to do that anyway. 
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • caliking
    Options
    Yep, I use a plastic bag for overnight cooks, in case it rains while I'm asleep.