Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

duck with wild rice

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_1114.jpg
<p />stuffed 2 ducks with oranges and onions and slow cooked them for about 4.5 hours at about 220 dome direct on a raised grill. nothing better than crunchy duck skin. had some cranberrys left over and made a cranberry blueberry ginger sauce to pour over the pieces after the skin was picked off. made the turkey broth yesterday so tonight looks like soup.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    fishlessman,[p]As always, looks good. Did you have any grease dripping problems from doing the duck direct? The domestic ducks I've cooked render out so much that they fill the drip pan.[p]gdenby

• fishlessman
    100_1113.jpg
    <p />gdenby,
    i dont notice much of a problem with grease dropping directly on the coals with a low temp cook and i use a raised grill and put a minimal amount of lump in the egg when doing things like chicken thighs, duck, ribs etc. that greasy smoke seems to be more of a problem at roasting temps and with all the grease those ducks dropped, a good high temp burn is probably needed before the next cook. you do get a different product cooking direct near the dome than inderect. if you want to see grease, try goose, ill never cook one in the egg. this was the daisy coating up with grease during the duck cook, its amazing how the grease sticks to the smoke or steam and finds its way to the top of the egg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    How did you get crisp skin at only 220 degrees? When I've tried that with chicken, I get rubber skin.[p]Paul

• fishlessman
    Essex County,
    there is so much fat under the skin on a duck that it crisps up on its own with time. was a little concerned with the oranges steaming it and planned to increase temps at the end, but it wasnt needed. one thing with duck and a low and slow is that it isnt as necessary to pull it at a certain breast or thigh temp, you can really over cook it until the skin crisps and it wont dry as fast as chicken or turkey, its more like cooking thighs in that you can bring the internals up to 200 and it will still be moist. the skin on this duck almost tasted deepfried

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    nice! did you shoot those ducks?[p]but if i may ask... where is the beautiful plate setting i've come accustomed to on your photos? i kinda miss that and all the special beers[p]oh yeah, and that beam on your deck already looks like it has deflected a bit. that looks like a great place and it's a shame you have to be covert in trying to fix it up.