Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry smoked lamb poutine ... dayum

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,087
We had a decent amount of lamb left over from last night's cook of lamb smoked over cherry. We also had some rich gravy left. This gave me an idea ... lamb poutine. Complete experiment, pushing the boundaries a bit.

I made the poutine gravy using St. Herbert's packet mix, along with 600ml of lamb gravy. Using the mix might be cutting corners, but SWMBO and I really like the taste of it. I heated this up in a saucepan and then used the gravy to heat up slices of lamb in a saucepan.

The chips were made from Santana potatoes, really crispy when fried. When I tossed them in the chip basket, they made a satisfying crisp, crunch sound as they landed.

We don't have cheese curds in the UK (or at least not that I can find, and that includes checking out local cheesemongers) so I subbed in shredded cheddar and mozzarella. I put this over the salted chips.

I then poured over the gravy and lamb slices. And tasted it. Damn it was good. Definitely making poutine gravy with meat gravy again. 

Thanks for looking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    St Herbert?

Options
    I’d hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Goddaamn! Looks delicious as it is, but, this makes me want to be hungover, and tuck in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    I've had poutine once, drunk in Montreal late at night.  When I have it for reals, this is the one I want to have.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I've had poutine once, drunk in Montreal late at night.  When I have it for reals, this is the one I want to have.
    Love Montreal. Such a fun city. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Love Montreal. Such a fun city. 

I've been there a half dozen times, all for work in a past life, every time was was fun.  Even the couple times when work really was unpleasant.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Stormbringer
    edited March 25
    Options
    paqman said:
    St Herbert?
    St. Hubert ... gotta love autocorrect. It's this stuff https://www.st-hubert.com/en/grocery-products/dry-mix-sauces/poutine-gravy-mix.html or at least I think it is, I get an access denied when visiting that URL. I've seen that on sites that block non-US/Canada traffic. I bought some on eBay and had it shipped to the UK.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    Options
    caliking said:
    Goddaamn! Looks delicious as it is, but, this makes me want to be hungover, and tuck in. 
    Thanks! I was out with some friends on Friday night, one of them said the only time he had ever had poutine was in Ottowa a few years ago, and that was to cure a hangover. :) 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks! I was out with some friends on Friday night, one of them said the only time he had ever had poutine was in Ottowa a few years ago, and that was to cure a hangover. :) 
    Poutine definitely abounds here, but shawarma is king in Ottawa. It is the shawarma capital of Canada. “Make mine with extra garlic, please.”
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,583
    Options
    That looks fantastic 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    caliking said:
    Poutine definitely abounds here, but shawarma is king in Ottawa. It is the shawarma capital of Canada. “Make mine with extra garlic, please.”
    Is Shwarma a hangover cure? 😁

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 25
    Options
    caliking said:
    Filed away for future reference. 

I'd love to return to Montreal. Very much enjoyed our trip last June. May add Ottawa to the list for our next trip :)

2nd edit: Need to add Toronto to the list, too. Because, I miss @Canugghead ! One needs to make space in their luggage after visiting him. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    caliking said:
    2nd edit: Need to add Toronto to the list, too. Because, I miss @Canugghead ! One needs to make space in their luggage after visiting him. 
    Only got to visit Toronto once, for a week-long GIDEP conference with another Thiokol engineer.  I wasn't aware of their version of the Seattle "space needle", and it was, to the foot, exactly 3 TIMES taller than Seattle's; I almost drove off the interstate when I first saw it (nighttime).  Wow!  
    And the downtown was just incredible, so cosmopolitan; every ethnic group you could think of was represented by the crowds, and the restaurants.  (my Thiokol buddy, who'd never been outside of UT except for his mission, later confided in me that he was terrified of that city).  
    I spent a few weekends in Winnipeg Manitoba when I was stationed in Grand Forks, neat city with underground tunnels connecting all of downtown (so you could stay out of the cold) but there was absolutely nothing around it, like looking at Kansas from a 6th-floor hotel window during the winter.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• paqman
    Options
    paqman said:
    St Herbert?
    St. Hubert ... gotta love autocorrect. It's this stuff https://www.st-hubert.com/en/grocery-products/dry-mix-sauces/poutine-gravy-mix.html or at least I think it is, I get an access denied when visiting that URL. I've seen that on sites that block non-US/Canada traffic. I bought some on eBay and had it shipped to the UK.
    OK, that’s some dedication right there.  Next time that you need a fix let me know and I’ll hook you up.  Poutine gravy is not really what they are known for, their BBQ gravy is where it’s at… I could literally drink the stuff.  They make a powdered version but it is definitely not as good as the canned version.  The one they make in the restaurant is made with chicken fat drippings and it is awesome.

Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    St Herbert?
    OK, that’s some dedication right there.  Next time that you need a fix let me know and I’ll hook you up.  Poutine gravy is not really what they are known for, their BBQ gravy is where it’s at… I could literally drink the stuff.  They make a powdered version but it is definitely not as good as the canned version.  The one they make in the restaurant is made with chicken fat drippings and it is awesome.

Oo thanks for the info and the offer of a hookup. We are heading for Newfoundland in June, maybe I'll be able to get some there. 

• paqman
    Options
    If you are looking for St-Hubert specifically, I doubt it but who knows.  It is a restaurant chain based in Québec, they also have a handful of restaurants in Ontario and New Brunswick but that’s it I think.