Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egyptian Santana potato fries / chips ... fantastic with ribeye steak

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,087
edited March 20 in Sides
A few years ago, after a chance discussion with the owner of a local fish and chip shop, I discovered the amazing Ramos potato. I have used this versatile varietal to cook fries (chips on my side of the pond) for a long time. Sadly, the Ramos potato is now difficult for even the fish and chip shops here to acquire. 

I went to the same shop last week, and the owner told me he had got some sample potatoes from Egypt to try out. Yeah, I was surprised too. He gave me a few to take home to make chips with and let him know what I thought ... and they were fantastic, as good as chips made from Ramos potatoes.

After some investigation work, I found that the varietal in question is Santana. The Santana potato thrives in regions where it can be grown during the winter such as Egypt, which has the perfect climate and is therefore ideal for this variety. The Santana has a cream to pale yellow fleshy colour. It is a mid-to-late variety, requiring about 120 growing days before harvesting.

So if you can get a hold of some, I highly recommend trying them. I cooked them using the double cook method described in the Ramos post above. Pictured below with some delicious rib eye steaks. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,583
    Options
    That is one awesome looking plate. Interesting post!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It’s not often you see a plate of steak and fries where the fries are the main act, but those look and sound great. That rib eye makes one h3ll of a side. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Magazine quality photos right there!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Glorious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options
    Those potatoes (both Ramos and Santana) look and sound special.  They do not sound familiar at all to me, will be checking for them around here.  Not feeling confident they are available in my area.
    Although you were posting about "chips", some details about that ribeye, please.  Having only partially exposed is just a big tease! 🙂
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Those potatoes (both Ramos and Santana) look and sound special.  They do not sound familiar at all to me, will be checking for them around here.  Not feeling confident they are available in my area.
    Although you were posting about "chips", some details about that ribeye, please.  Having only partially exposed is just a big tease! 🙂
    They are worth seeking out. They are of Dutch origin and I believe created by the same company. I tried to find information about availability in the USA, but drew a blank on that front. 

The ribeye was a simple sear in butter in a cast iron pan with some Dizzy Pig Redeye Express. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Magazine quality photos right there!
    Thanks! They were taken with an IPhone 15 Pro Max. I'm really impressed with the camera in this. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Good Groceries!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian