Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Lump - The Worst

Options
I recently bought a bag of BGE lump because it was slightly discounted at my local ACE dealer.  It is the worst lump I have ever used in the three years I have been egging.  A majority of it was very small pieces, a lot of dust, and a few pieces that were small logs.  The last time I used BGE lump, about 2-3 years ago, it was great.  Back to my tried and true Rockwood.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    That’s what you get for cheating on Rockwood! 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    It is the worst if only comparing it to Rockwood. There are plenty of brands that make BGE brand shine. Still sticking with Rockwood 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Ha - now i am going to come across like the "old man" that I really am...but "back in my MY DAY, Sonny" when I bought my first egg 22 years ago the availability and quality of lump was a real hit and miss at best. You kinda had this crap shoot every time you bought any. Then along came "Royal Oak" which dominated the marketplace with their own label. but also began to produce lump in bags for Kroger and MANY others including...................(WAIT FOR the surprise ending here........) BGE!!!! 

If you want quality then stick with Rockwood and never look back! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokinGolfer
    Options
    I've had similar experiences buying BGE lump at ACE.  I think it is due to (mis)handling the bags.  I've had to throw out about 30% (by weight) of the bag because it was small useless debris.  I still buy BGE lump from my formerly authorized BGE dealer, and it is still great.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've had similar experiences buying BGE lump at ACE.  I think it is due to (mis)handling the bags.  I've had to throw out about 30% (by weight) of the bag because it was small useless debris.  I still buy BGE lump from my formerly authorized BGE dealer, and it is still great.
    No such thing as "small useless debris". It all burns, and produces BTU's. As @stlcharcoal has often said... or something to that effect, 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Three things to avoid discussing among friends you want to keep:

1. Religion
    2. Politics
    3. Charcoal

Truth.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    For a long time I had a canned reply to these types of questions. Since I can’t find it then here I go again…

First thing to learn is to pick up a bag of lump as if you were getting ready to fluff up a bed pillow. Then if all the lump charcoal just dumps to the bottom then drop it and move on! 

NOW let’s try again…pick up the next bag and all  the ones thereafter UNTIL you pick up a solid sounding bag which feels like it is a “full pillow” . Then turn it upside down and listen for the sound of the wonderful clink clink clink versus that crappy sound of falling sand,

Does all that seem too difficult?? It really shouldn't be!m
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    RRP said:
    First thing to learn is to pick up a bag of lump as if you were getting ready to fluff up a bed pillow. Then if all the lump charcoal just dumps to the bottom then drop it and move on! 

NOW let’s try again…pick up the next bag and all  the ones thereafter UNTIL you pick up a solid sounding bag which feels like it is a “full pillow” . Then turn it upside down and listen for the sound of the wonderful clink clink clink versus that crappy sound of falling sand,
    This is how I buy bags of Doritos.  
    And, hey, did Frito-Lay stop making small cans of Hot Jalapeño Bean Dip?  I haven't been able to find it for months now.   :s  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    edited February 29
    Options
    I always buy the bags of charcoal that have holes in them. Small lump doesn’t puncture a bag. I also flip the bags upside down. If it sounds like a Native American rain stick, I don’t buy it. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:

This is how I buy bags of Doritos.  
    And, hey, did Frito-Lay stop making small cans of Hot Jalapeño Bean Dip?  I haven't been able to find it for months now.   :s  
    I think you need to be miles from anywhere in a one gas station town to find it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    Probably just a mishandled bag, it's not indicative of the entire brand.  

It will all burn.  Get a new bag and then use the rest of that one to top dress everytime you fill up.  You'll work through the whole bag and not lose a dime.  I'm doing that with a bag of my stuff right now (ran over it with a forklift.)