Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In Turkey BREAST

Options
Who would like to save me from pulling my hair out, and share your very favorite smoked bone in turkey breast recipe?  TIA!  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    I don't have a specific favorite.  I waffle between a coffee rub and a cajun rub.  The keys are 1) pull it when it is 155-160 and 2) slice against the grain (there are some videos online on how to carve all the meat off the breast and then slice against the grain).

I prefer a little mesquite smoke (very little) as that is how my father made them.

With that said, hopefully, some others will come along with some specific favorite recipes - especially if they have ways to get the skin crispy, you might want to use one.  Good luck and take some pics for us when it is done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In my opinion the real key is the brine.  I tend to use a dry brine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    Remove skin
    Inject with cold chicken breath and a stick of butter the day before 
    spatchcock
    cook indirect 2 hours
    wrap in pan cook about 1 hour
    rest 45 min 
  • ChristinaSunshine
    Options
    I read a recipe similar to @SteveinTN ‘s.  The wrap in pan part was “Wrap in a pan of butter” … Can’t say I think that is a bad idea (i dig butter), but would negate the crispy skin, I suspect.  
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    What brine do you use? Also, how can I tell if a brine would help vs what was done before packaging? Any idea?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    What brine do you use? Also, how can I tell if a brine would help vs what was done before packaging? Any idea?

I typically use the Simon and Garfunkel mix, plus kosher salt.  There are lots of recipes out there, just google around to find one that sounds good to you.  As long as they have salt in some form, they’ll work.

In terms of what was done before, mostly you just want to make sure it isn’t already brined.  If it hasn’t been brined before packaging, then a brine will help.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    Have really loved the results from the Franklin method. https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-turkey-breast-recipe/
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    I fix Franklin's style mostly, I've heard nothing but compliments.  Tip: when unwrapping the turkey, save all the au jus you can to put back on it after you slice it.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My ideal method involves first removing the bones. Then I do a salt and brown sugar brine for at least a couple hours. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the breast in thin sliced bacon, basket weave style and on the bias. Apply a liberal dose of black pepper. Roast to desired temp with a couple chunks of apple wood in the mix. Let it rest about 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Turkey breast is Mrs.C's favorite. I cook one or two a month and use the kiss method. 
    Dry brined overnight 
    Set egg indirect 300°-325° adding a chunk of cherry
    Place drip pan between conveggtor and grill grate
    Smoke until internal temperature hits 157" then pull and rest for at least 20 minutes
    Or rest wrapped in cooler allowing you to hold for hours. 

Temperature is key to keeping it tender and moist without squeezing out all the juice flooding the cutting board or serving plate.
    Even frozen for a week or two it keeps its integrity after thawing.

Hope this might help, just my method for good consistent turkey breast. 
    For the record though most is eaten as cold cuts for sandwiches and salads

Fort Wayne Indiana