Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Cooks

Options
What are you cooking this upcoming long weekend here in the States?

I have a shank thawing and I just cut the knuckle off it so that it will stand up.  Thor's hammer sammiches incoming!

Clinton, Iowa

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    I'm still at the coin flipping stage!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm still at the coin flipping stage!
    Back at Ya on that one , I’m sure I’ll lose the toss though lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,414
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I have a shank thawing and I just cut the knuckle off it so that it will stand up.  Thor's hammer sammiches incoming!

The cook wins on presentation and is great "pulled beef" but it is quite a protracted cook, at least when I have ventured down that road.  Regardless, sweet eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Can’t wait to see the finish of this 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Late to catch up with this thread but @Langner91 you deserve an award for persistence.  I hope your beer locker was sufficiently stocked for that run.  Great outcome right there but man what an undertaking.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina the dishwasher did very well.  Looks like it retains moisture or do you use a water pan as I always run with one in the stick burner due to the high air-flow. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great looking cooks
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Did 2 butts yesterday:   One for us and one for the neighbors.   No pics as butts are pedestrian nowadays.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    I Iove pedestrian butts, it's the only reason I keep my first floor blinds open. Yesterday I saw one that was right up my alley, it looked like it was experienced and could take a gutter ball or two. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the comments @lousubcap .  It was a marathon, but I have learned three things:
    1. There is enough fat and collagen that it would hold up to higher temps. This should shave a couple of hours.
    2. I will foil sooner and start the "braise" portion similar to PSB.  This should shave another couple of hours.
    3. I won't french the bone on the next one if I am not going for presentation points.  I will just cook the shank in a foil pan and enjoy the extra meat.

Great cooks all around!  I hope you all enjoyed the day.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    This thread was worth the hunt. Amazing cooks you guys!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina the dishwasher did very well.  Looks like it retains moisture or do you use a water pan as I always run with one in the stick burner due to the high air-flow. 
    I haven’t used a water pan in it yet, Frank.  Haven’t noticed anything drying out in it except for ribs cooked straight - those will definitely dry out if they’re in for too long.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Nice!

What happened to the other 3/4 of a chicken?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    No idea. I picked up two 40lb boxes of leg quarters.
    I did make a breast for Mrs.C on the minimax, she doesn't like leg quarters.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Go big or go home right there.  Nice.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    cooked about 50 red hotdogs for the maniac crowd. wth eats cheap red hotdogs.......snuck in some italian deli made italian sausages and peppers before the event for myself, dad, AND the dog before the event.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    Options