Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trouble getting low temp

Options
Looking for advice on achieving and maintaining low temp, like 220-250.  I was planning on doing a brisket today.  Lit the charcoal, but got away from me.  When I noticed the temp was climbing well over 300, I closed the lower vent to about 1/8", and the wheel on the dome vent similarly.  Temp kept climbing.  Hour and half later the grill temp was 318.  Finally gave up and did the brisket in the kitchen oven  :-(  I have no problem achieving temps 350 to 500+ for burgers, steaks, chicken but when I want to do low and slow it is always a struggle.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    You really have to put the brakes on long before you get to your desired pit temp, very difficult to bring it back down that far, it would have dipped a lot once you loaded the protein and probably settled in around 250-275 ….
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,409
    Options
    Make sure your dome thermo is one point cal checked.  Also run a dollar bill test around the dome to base interface to make sure you don't have any air leaks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wps456
    Options
    This may be frowned on around here but a good way to get low temps is to not clean out the old charcoal before the cook. Temps are gonna go up with more air circulation so if they're clogged from old ashes then it'll keep them down (also hard to get high temps with them clogged).
    For low and slow, I pack it full of lump so there's less air but only light up the middle.
    The dollar bill test is great but also just look to see if smoke is coming out from anywhere other than the 2 vents.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    For anything less than 275 I use the blue and white Kingsford Briquets instead of lump.  It is easier to control and I also prefer the smoke tase from the standard Kingsford. I only use the standard Kingsford to be sure not to get lighter fluid type taste into my ceramics.  I learned this from watching the PITMASTERS TV show and researching some of the contestants websites.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Mr_D
    Mr_D Posts: 18
    Options
    I have a Med Green Egg and when I first started using it I was struggling to maintain proper temps, everything just seemed to be all over the place.

The first thing I discovered was my thermomotor not reading correctly, once that was corrected things improved but not 100% control over the temp.

Next thing I did was buy a Flame Boss 500 and that was like sprinkling magic pixie dust over the green egg. 

I can hold 225 on a 10 hr cook and not give it a second thought, rock solid. When I do open the lid it takes little to no time for the temp to recover at 225.

I'm sold on the Flame Boss as a must have for long smokes on a Green Egg.      
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Dump a load of new lump on the coals and narrow the vents.  That will arrest the burn and give you a chance to get control again. 

Dissipating heat in the ceramic probably only achievable by leaving the lid up for a bit afterwards. 

Unless you're feeling all Clark Kent and you could try to hoist some of the hot lump out.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay