Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
The wait for a RTIC was nothing compared to this.  @GATraveller and I ordered this August 2015 and mine finally arrived yesterday.  My wife said "it's Christmas" and I couldn't agree more!

A tad smaller than I expected, but I'm pretty freaking excited about this!   =)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome!!  What is it's capacity in 24 hours?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice!  I love ice like that. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Cool! No pun intended.

I remember reading about that many months ago.

Does it require a water connection or do you fill a hopper on the device with water?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Awesome!!  What is it's capacity in 24 hours?
    It holds 3lbs and makes a 1lb of ice and hour.
  • cazzy
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Cool! No pun intended.

I remember reading about that many months ago.

Does it require a water connection or do you fill a hopper on the device with water?
    You fill a reservoir.  Water connection would be great, but I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy
    Can I be a little nosy and ask how much they cost? Been considering getting a small, portable model myself. That might be the ticket right there. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mine came Friday! So excited about it. I've been cranking out ice and filling bags for the freezer all weekend. 
    It's about as loud as our dishwasher. Now that they're in full production the cost is around $450. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy
    Can I be a little nosy and ask how much they cost? Been considering getting a small, portable model myself. That might be the ticket right there. 
    It was about $400 after tax.  This was an early bird deal, so I'm not sure what they retail for now.

http://www.nuggetice.com

• cazzy
    Options
    Mine came Friday! So excited about it. I've been cranking out ice and filling bags for the freezer all weekend. 

I missed my shipping confirmation emails that came on the 1st and 8th and didn't confirm until the 15th.  I'd probably have a freezer full if it didn't go to a folder I don't check often.  Oh well lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How many lbs does one reservoir fill get you? Makes 1 lb an hour but is one fill one lb?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @cazzy -  dang, that must be quite a machine to wait for 15 months.  At least it arrived inside an elephant's gestation period  ;)  Looks great.  I pound a fair amount of brown water but never would use that capacity.  I'm sure your business side will reap many benefits.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2016
    Options

10 lbs = $2 :smiley:
    Talk to @NPHuskerFL about how dirty some of the Ice Machines at Sonic are.  

I've bought plenty of those bags though!  Lol
  • cazzy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    How many lbs does one reservoir fill get you? Makes 1 lb an hour but is one fill one lb?

I'm honestly not sure yet.  I'll let you know.  

*Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure one fill is is 3lb or a little more.  I'm almost at capacity and I haven't added any water, nor is it notifying me to add water.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    That's not dirt in the Sonic bags, that's flavour! Dirt is good for anyone who cooks over charcoal, n'est pas?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    Looking at the specs, the reservoir holds 6 cups of water.   That is about 3.13 lbs of water.  I would assume that would translate pretty closely into a 3 lbs of ice :)

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    That is correct. A full reservoir makes 3lbs. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @cazzy Actually the 14-18 Sonic locations I handle are cleaned (descaled & sanitized) every 6 months.  However, I've unfortunately witnessed machines at random restaurants I wouldn't serve wildlife ice from. I have pictures but, won't be sharing those.
    ICE IS FOOD!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Glad ya got it Carl.  That'll be great for drinks the kiddos and Mom & Dad :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I like it, how does this stuff hold up if you filled a freezer with some for later use? I'd want to load some up in the freezer for storage so it can keep up. We go through ice like crazy, the fridge maker in the summer can't keep up.

also those machines, my pop rehabs gas stations sometimes... he will never take ice from public. He said what he seen can not be unseen on the ice and soda machines. 
    Seattle, WA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I have about 10lbs stored in the freezer for Thanksgiving use. I'll let you know how it turns out. So far so good. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fun accessory for sure!  Awesome brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    cazzy said:

10 lbs = $2 :smiley:
    Talk to @NPHuskerFL about how dirty some of the Ice Machines at Sonic are.  
    It's called doo doo ice. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I like it, how does this stuff hold up if you filled a freezer with some for later use? 
    Are you asking if ice goes bad, or if it will still be ice?

:|

because i think the only issue is if you lose power and the ice magically becomes water
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I like it, how does this stuff hold up if you filled a freezer with some for later use? 

because i think the only issue is if you lose power and the ice magically becomes water
    You need to try dry aged ice.  Not to be confused with dry aged dry ice.  It is very good if you have a taste for it ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    Options
    have to say I love it so far. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Looking at a fridge for the new kitchen that hads two ice makers. One in the fridge and another below in the freezer. Does 10# a day. We always run out of ice. 

Samsung. Anyone have one?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Actually nugget or flaked ice when stored in a freezer isn't as good as it is fresh.  It's a wet ice to begin with so when stored in a freezer (especially if it's a frost-free model) it tends to want to form a solid mass.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Actually nugget or flaked ice when stored in a freezer isn't as good as it is fresh.  It's a wet ice to begin with so when stored in a freezer (especially if it's a frost-free model) it tends to want to form a solid mass.  

Which pertains to all ice. Not ice specifically from this maker, right?

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown I have one of those.  we always used the lower ice drawer because it was easier to just scope.  worked well for awhile.  

then the lever (that shuts of the ice maker when it is full of ice) in the bottom drawer broke off.  I think some one put too much stuff in the drawer and forced it shut.  the first round of trying to find the part, you had to replace the whole ice maker assembly  ($300ish).  that did not sit well with me so we got used to use the door ice maker. :)  plus that gave us more room in the freezer. 

I need to do some more research on finding the right part. 

Other than that we love the refrigerator. 

smak
    Leesburg, VA